Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Hidden Wells Quilt Block

Here are the measurements on my block:
For each strip set cut all strips the width (selvage to selvage) of the fabric.  I used a 7-strip set.  I cut 6 strips at 1 1/2 " wide and 1 strip 2" wide.  The wide strip is the center strip.  This needs to be a little wider, as it works out to be the center in each finished block.  When I make another quilt, I plan to cut the center strip twice as wide as the outside strips.  My block centers are really tiny.

After sewing the strips together, measure the width of the strip set.  Mine measured just a hair over 7 1/4".  Cut squares the width of the block.  I got 5 strip set squares from each strip set.  

I assembled the first two blocks before I completely understood the directions given in a link I am sharing below.  I don't believe my mistake will stand out when the quilt is finished.  Like a wise woman once said, "Mistakes are there for the benefit of those looking for them." 

http://www.reddawn.net/quilt/hwells.htm

Take a look at the photo from yesterday's post and see if you can find my mistake.

Keep on quilting!
Gwen


No comments:

Post a Comment